Black Stop Ventilation Upgrade Project
The utility power company already operates four 60 MW gas turbine units at this site in Germany, but required an upgrade to the packages to provide automatic ventilation in the event of loss of AC power to the gas turbine (GT) auxiliary systems (Black Stop).
The Project Scope of work for the upgrade consisted of the following tasks:
• Design and provision a 60kVA UPS system complete with battery installation to provide 30 minutes of 3 phase power to two out of the three GT enclosure vent fans on each gas turbine package.
• Design and provision of a variable frequency drive panel to reduce supply frequency to the vent fans in order to run them at 70% speed (25% power).
• Modification of the gas turbine motor control centre to provide Black Stop changeover between the two sources of supply for the Vent Fans.
• Modification of the gas turbine package software to control the Black Stop sequencing including vent fan selection, failure scenarios and event timing.
• Commission the Black Stop Ventilation system into service by full Customer witnessed Black Stop simulation.